Register for Muggle Children's Day
Chat with a Librarian
About the Exhibit
“There was a lot more to magic, as Harry quickly found out, than waving your wand and saying a few funny things.” Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, J. K. Rowling
The magic in the Harry Potter books is partially based on Renaissance traditions that played an important role in the development of Western science, including alchemy, astrology, and natural philosophy.
This exhibition, "Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic, and Medicine," using materials from the National Library of Medicine, explores Harry Potter's world and its roots in Renaissance magic, science, and medicine.More information about the exhibit can be found on the U. S. National Library of Medicine website.
This exhibition and much of the information on these pages is brought to you by the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. Curated by Elizabeth J. Bland.
Harry Potter's World: Renaissance Science, Magic, and Medicine
From April 10 through May 21, Oesterle Library will welcome "Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic, and Medicine," an exhibition developed and produced by the Exhibition Program at the National Library of Medicine. During the exhibition's six-week visit, Oesterle Library will host the following public events:
- Tuesday, April 12th Noon-1:30: The public is invited to celebrate the grand opening of Harry Potter’s World. Refreshments will be served and attendees will be invited to play a trivia game to be entered into a drawing for fantastic prizes.
- Wednesday, April 13th 9:30-11:00: Faculty and staff are invited to view the exhibit and celebrate National Library Week during Campus Coffee at Oesterle Library.
- Thursday, April 28th Noon-1:00: Oesterle Library and the Department of Human Resources invite faculty and staff to a Lunch & Learn program focusing on the consumer health resources available at Oesterle Library. To register, please contact Emily Prather-Rodgers (firstname.lastname@example.org or x5709).
- Saturday, May 7th 11:00 – 2:00: Students from local elementary and middle schools are invited to a Muggle Children’s Day. Attendees will be sorted into houses, hear stories from the Harry Potter books, participate in Readers Theatre groups using selections from the books, make crafts to take home, and depending on the weather, play Quidditch on the Library lawn. Children are encouraged to dress as their favorite Harry Potter character for a chance to win prizes.
- Friday, May 13th TBD: Students and other members of the campus community are invited to participate in fun activities in the library. Then, the College Union Activities Board and Residence Life will present Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1, on the library lawn.
- Saturday, May 21st 9:30-5:00: This is your last chance to see Harry Potter’s World at North Central College and your last chance to play the trivia game for a chance to win prizes.
Image Credit: Harry Potter's World Letterhead with owl, courtesy National Library of Medicine.
320 E. School St.
Naperville, IL 60540